Pacquiao addresses steroid allegations
Statement from Pacquiao: An anonymous post on an internet forum claims an unidentified former Filipino sparring partner injected me with steroids before my fight with Oscar de la Hoya and in subsequent fights. This is completely false, totally fabricated, and, not surprisingly, leveled by someone who will not even identify himself. I did not even have a Filipino sparring partner during my training for the fight against De La Hoya or for any fight since then. I have never taken steroids, HGH, or any banned performance-enhancing drug. Period. My success in the ring is due to hard work, belief in God, and the support of my fans. Like every boxer, I am required to take drug tests in connection with every professional fight in the United States. I have passed everyone, including my fight against De la Hoya and my most recent victory against Shane Mosley. I will fight to protect my hard-earned good name and reputation.
No rest for the Weary: Arreola makes quick return to the ring
Southern California heavyweight star Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola (31-2, 27 KOs) will make a quick return to the ring when he faces 28-year-old Kendrick “The Apostle” Releford (22-14-2, 10 KOs) of Fort Worth, Texas, in a 10-round main event on Friday, May 27, at the world-class 6,000-seat Reno Events Center operated by the Reno-Sparks Convention Visitors Authority and televised LIVE on ESPN2 “Friday Night Fights” at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT. Last Saturday, May 14, a newly slimmed-down and focused Arreola once again put on a power-punching display as he recorded a third-round knockout against Nagy Aguilera at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., on the undercard of the Andre Ward-Arthur Abraham Showtime Super Six World Boxing Classic Semifinal. After the fight, Arreola told reporters he hoped to get another fight soon. “It’s only my second fight back since being serious,” Arreola said on Saturday. “I’ll be back in the gym, back to work on Tuesday. I need another fight fast just to stay focused on what I need to do.” After learning his wish was granted by promoter Dan Goossen of Goossen Tutor Promotions on Monday, Arreola said: “I didn’t think twice when Henry (Ramirez) told me the possibility of going right back into the ring in Reno. I’ve got one objective in my career now – train, fight and win.”
Chula Vista’s Chris “S.D. KID” Martin headlines tonight’s edition of Solo Boxeo
Southern California rivals Charles Huerta and Christopher Martin are set to square off at The Hangar at the O.C. Fair & Event Center on Friday, May 20, in the main event of TeleFutura’s “Sólo Boxeo Tecate” broadcast in a fight which will determine local hero moves closer to a world title shot in the ultra-competitive featherweight division. One of Southern California’s best-kept secrets, 24-year-old San Diego native Christopher Martin (21-0-2, 6 KO’s) let the cat out of the bag in 2010, reeling off five wins in impressive fashion. Most importantly, he defeated previously unbeaten Chris Avalos on national television and followed that with victories over Jose Luis Araiza and Yogli Herrera. Now ranked in the top ten by the WBC and IBF, Martin begins his march towards a title shot on May 20.