By Berenice Cisneros
Indoor Custom Car Show
Join us from 10-5 pm at the Community Concourse Golden Hall 202 C St., Sunday, November 3rd for a show that will display over 200 of Southern California’s most exotic custom vehicles including Low Riders, Imports/Racers, Hot Rods, Trucks and SUV’s. There will also be Sweepstake Cash Prizes, a hot Bikini Contest, and a Celebrity Autograph Session.
Confirmed celebrities include Jessie Borrego “Blood In Blood Out”; Jacob Vargas “Traffic”, “Selena”; Danny De La Paz “American Me, “Boulevard Nights”.
Tickets are $15.00 in advance or $20 at the door. Call Ticket Master (619) 220-TIXS.
Classical Music & Rumba
* Internationally renowned bluesman Boubacar Traoré (also known as Kar Kar) has lived the blues he sings about. He will appear one night only on Friday, Nov. 8 at 7:30 in Mandeville Auditorium. Tickets are $20 General Admission, $18 UCSD Faculty/Staff and Senior Citizens, and $15 for all Students. For more information call the UCSD Box Office at (858) 534-TIXS.
* On November 8 & 9, Latin Jazz sensation Arturo Sandoval will join the San Diego Symphony in presenting an explosive mixture of jazz and traditional Cuban music.
Sandoval is the most renowned protége of Dizzy Gillespie and has evolved into one of the world’s most acknowledged guardians of jazz trumpet, as well as a respected classical artist and composer. Concert will be held at Copley Symphony Hall, 750 B Street, downtown. To purchase your tickets or to obtain more information call the Symphony Ticket Office at 619-235-0804.
* The Grossmont Symphony Orchestra, under the baton of Dr. Randall Tweed, GSO’s music director and conductor, will present “Symphony 101,” an event billed as a lecture/demonstration/concert geared to “first time” and novice classical music concert goers on Sunday, November 3 at 7 p.m. at the East County Performing Arts Center in downtown El Cajon (210 East Main). The concert will conclude with a full-length performance of Haydn’s Symphony #104 (“London”). General admission tickets are $13; $11 for seniors and $9 for students and children 12 and under.
* Dance the night away Havana style to the beat of authentic Cuban Rumba music. Every Friday from 9 pm to 1 a.m. Hollywood Star features live performance by Omo Ache, an Afro-Cuban group. Rumba is a uniquely Cuban cultural expression that combines Spanish and African influences. Cover charge is $10. Adults 21 & older only. Hollywood Star Club is located at 1320 Fifth Avenue between A and Ash, Downtown. For more information call (619) 516-3366.
Peter Pan, Cinderella, The Last Unicorn and San Diego Ballet
* South County CYT will present the fantasy and spectacle of the timeless tale “Peter Pan” for performances through November 3 at East-lake High School, Ruth Chapman Performing Arts Center, 1120 Eastlake Parkway, Chula Vista. You may purchase your $7 ticket by calling 588-0206.
* Dreams do come true with this classical rendition of “Cinderella.” It can be seen at the Casa del Prado Theatre in Balboa Park now showing through November 10. Ticket prices are $5-10. Call 239-8355 for your purchase.
* A fanciful and poignant tale of the very last unicorn in the world whose quest leads her to offer her immortality in exchange for love. “The Last Unicorn” will be presented November 1-18 at the City College Saville Theatre. For more information call 388-3617.
* A new play by 18 year old Beatriz Mendoza “El Mensajero” is about the abuelita who is too busy living to recognize death’s messenger opens on November 2 at the Globe Theatres, Cassius Carter Centre Stage, Balboa Park. For ticket prices and times call Playwrights Project at 239-8222.
* San Diego Ballet announces their opening with a breathtaking collaborative concert November 1 and 2 at the Lyceum Theatre. Along with SDB’s presentation of two smash hits from last season, Culture Shock San Diego’s premiere hip-hop dance troupe will perform two pieces of their own cutting-edge choreography. SDB’s offering will be Tangata and Firebird. Also, on November 8, we will be celebrating Latin culture in tribute to the museum’s ground-breaking exhibition, Axis Mexico. For more information, please visit www.sandiegoballet.org or call 619-294-7378.