by Berenice Cisneros
Sports for Kids All Ages
* The San Diego Chargers will host FanFest 2002, this Saturday, August 3 at the Alex G. Spanos Training Center at the University of California San Diego in La Jolla from 2-5 p.m. Parking and admission are free. FanFest will feature plenty of free activities for kids, including games, temporary tattoo artists and balloon artists. From 2:15-2:45 p.m., players will be available to sign autographs for children 14 and under. Chargers girls will also be available for autographs and photo opportunities. For directions or more information call (858) 455-1984.
* The City of Chula Vista Recreation Department will be accepting registration for children in fifth and sixth grades for its Youth Flag Football League. Registration is open for experienced players as well as inexperienced. Fees are $35 for Chula Vista residents and $44 for non-residents. Registration will be taken by mail from Aug. 5 - Sept. 13. A walk-in registration will be held from Sept. 16-20 at Parkway Gym, 385 Parkway from 3-7 p.m. Play begins Sept. 21 at various parks and elementary schools in Chula Vista. For further information call 691-5084.
* The City of Chula Vista Police Activities League (PAL) will be participating in a basketball game with various youth agencies followed by youth competitions. The event is scheduled on Aug. 9 from 7:30 p.m. - midnight at the Otay Recreation Center located at 3554 Main Street. After the game, youth can participate in a 3-on-3 basketball tournament, slam dunk competition, 3-point shooting competition and a Playstation II tournament. This is a FREE event to enhance relations between local youth-service agencies, the community and the Police Department.
Music, Fun & Entertainment
* High energy foot-stomping Zydeco performance for the Sounds in the Park 2002 Concert Series. This concert by Sean Ardoin & Zydekool will be held Saturday, August 3 from 5:00-7:00 p.m., at Rancho Del Oro Park. Come early, spread out your blanket and get ready to dance. For more information call (760) 435-5570.
* Come and celebrate with Ballet Folklorico “Nana-huatzin” in our second anniversary concert. This year they’re bringing dances from all over México, Tabasco, Naya-rit, Jalisco, Veracruz, and many more. August 3, at Sunshine Brooks Theater from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. General admission is $10.00 For more information call (760) 717-7845, or email: email@example.com.
* We are proud to present “Saturday Night Swing on a Sunday Afternoon” at the Oceanside Pier Amphitheater, 200 N. The Strand, on Sunday, August 4, @ 2:00 p.m. The Big Band & Jazz Hall of Fame features accomplished musicians performing the music of swing era bands such as Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman, with singers vocalizing in the styles of Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, The Mills Brothers and The Four Freshman. An added attraction will include The Fabulous Earrings, a dynamic trio bringing the renowned Andrews Sisters to life. Admission is $5.00. For more information or directions call (760) 945-9833.
* The 18th Philippine Cultural Arts Festival will be held August 3 & 4 in Balboa Park, at Park Blvd. and President’s Way. The main attraction of the Festival is continuous entertainment presented in a well designed stage, showcasing traditional performing arts of the Philippines including folk dances from different regions, rondalla music, kulintang music and folk songs. The Highly skilled and talented dancers of Samahan will present an hour-long performance from 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. both days. The festival runs from 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Admission is FREE.
* A 1902 curved dash Oldsmobile will be the featured car for the 11th Annual National City Automobile Heritage Day Auto Show on Sunday, August 4th, at Kimball Park in National City. The day begins with a parade of vintage vehicles that moves out at 8:30 a.m. from 20th and Cleveland and winds through National City’s Miles of Cars and will end at Kimball Park at 9:30 a.m. The judged auto show on the grass at Kimball Park opens to the public at 10 a.m. and will feature live entertainment, games, craft booths and a popular drinking tank. Food and drinks will be available. The show is FREE to the public.
Plays & Movies
* From August 2 - 18th “Once on This Island” can be seen at the Casa del Prado Theatre in Balboa Park. This is the story of Ti Moune, a peasant girl, whose love for Daniel is tested by the island gods. Experience the powerful forces of prejudice, hatred and death as Ti Moune is tested on the strength of her love. We are pleased to present a multi-talented and diverse cast from throughout the County. Admission prices are $5 - $8 for children under 15 and seniors, $7 - $10 for adults. Call 239-8355 to purchase your tickets.
* Opening Friday, August 2nd for performances of “The Odd Couple” at the Academy of Sound and Music located at 3554 Ketner Blvd., between Washington and Sassafras. This very popular play exposes the humor lying beneath two very different friends in an otherwise oddball relationship. Tickets are $15 and $12 and may be purchased by calling (858) 831-1931.
* The San Diego Asian Film Festival and the San Diego Public Library are proud to present a special sneak preview of Mai’s America. The story of an outspoken yet diferential child of Ho Chi Minh’s revolution who trades cosmopolitan Hanoi for a year as an exchange student in the US. This free screening takes place in the 3rd floor auditorium of the Central Library located at 820 E Street on Monday, August 5th at 6:30 p.m. KPBS will screen Mai’s America on August 6th at 10:00 p.m.