January 16, 2009
Due to strong community interest in the Inaugural of President-Elect Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States on Tuesday, January 20th, the San Diego Public Library will host several exciting events to mark that momentous occasion. The Library envisions San Diego residents from all walks of life attending the many events, fostering fellowship and entering in dialogue with one another each other.
The community at large is invited to attend some of the most imaginative inaugural events occurring in the San Diego area. Several of the branches in the San Diego Public Library system have partnered with a diversity of community groups, including artists and performers, to mark the historic day.
• Valencia Park/Malcolm X Branch Library at 5148 Market St., San Diego, CA 92114-2209, envisions a daylong hour by hour inauguration day from 12:00 noon to 7:00 p.m., preceded by the live televised proceedings in the morning and including performance segments each hour, food, educational components, musical components, the recorded swearing-in ceremony, etc., elected and community leaders, community “open mic” for residents to share their views, and onsite video documentation for those who wish to record their impressions regarding the once-in-a-lifetime election of the new president. For more information call 619-527-3405.
• Rancho Bernardo Branch Library at 17110 Bernardo Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92128-2002, will broadcast the televised inauguration live and replay the recorded version soon after for those who missed it. For more information call 858-538-8163.
• Mountain View/Beck-wourth Branch Library at 721 San Pasqual St., San Diego, CA 92113-1839, plans to show the events on cable TV with light refreshments. For more information call 619-527-3404.
• Point Loma/Hervey Branch Library at 3701 Voltaire St., San Diego, CA 92107-1606 will be showing the televised festivities throughout the day. For more information call 619-531-1539.
• Otay Mesa-Nestor Branch Library at 3003 Coronado Ave., San Diego, CA 92154-1521 will be showing the televised festivities, throughout the day. Light refreshments such as water, coffee and pastries will be provided. For more information call 619-424-0474.
• City Heights/Weingart Branch Library Performing Annex at 3795 Fairmount Ave., San Diego, CA 92105-2605, will cap off the day’s activities from 7:00 to 10:00 pm with an evening inaugural ball with the taped ceremony, food, and live blues and salsa music. For this event, please RSVP to the Performance Annex at 619-641-6103.
Learn about other events at the San Diego Public Library’s Central Library and 35 branches, find links to numerous additional resources, or search for materials in the Library’s catalog online at www.sandiegolibrary.org. All programs are free and open for the public.
Obama Inaugural Live @ Malcolm X Library
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
9:00 11:00 pm Live Televised Swearing-in Ceremony & Inaugural Speech
12:00 7:00 pm Hour-by-Hour Community Celebration & Reflection
Malcolm X Library will host an all day Community Inaugural Celebration to mark the momentous occasion of the Inaugural of President-Elect Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States. The Library envisions San Diego residents from all walks of life attending the many events, fostering fellowship and sharing dialogue. Some of the imaginative events planned to celebrate the historic day:
· Hour by hour activities where you can come and go or stay the whole day
· Open mike entertainment each hour by poets, singers, storytellers, musicians, etc.
· Opportunities to speak your mind about the election and historic day
· Educational games and activities for all
· Appearances by elected officials and community leaders
· All day viewing of Official Swearing-in Ceremony and Inaugural Speech
· International cuisine highlighting various San Diego immigrant communities
· Live video recording of your impressions individually or in small groups. Copies of the resulting DVD will be deposited in the San Diego Public Library archives and made available to the public
· And much much more…….
Finally, the City Heights Library Performing Annex will cap off the day’s activities with an evening Community Presidential Inaugural Ball from 7:00 to 10:00 pm with a televised presentation, live Blues and Salsa music, and refreshments catered by the Big Kitchen. Please RSVP to the Performance Annex at (619) 641-6103 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. There’s a $10.00 advance charge ($15.00 at the door) to cover costs.
City Heights Library is located at 3795 Fairmount Ave., San Diego, CA 92105. For this event, it is recommended to put on your church Sunday best, ethnic costume, or cultural wear.
All programs are free and open to the public. For more information, please call (619) 527-3405. Malcolm X Library is located at 5148 Market Street, across from Euclid trolley station. Parking available.
East County Celebrates Obama Inauguration
Celebrate Obama’s inauguration at the Hacienda Restaurant in El Cajon on Tuesday, Jan 20th, at 8 a.m. (main event at 9 a.m.) Enjoy the festivities over coffee and breakfast as Barack Obama is sworn into office and we can again refer to W as “Mr. Bush.” We worked hard for this... Now let’s celebrate! Organized by the East County Democratic Club. Open to the public. No cover, refreshments are your responsibility. The restaurant is located at 700 N. Johnson, El Cajon, CA 92020 (enter from Arnele, phone 619-442-9827.) RSVP: 619-933-1526 or email@example.com. More info at http://www.ecdcweb.org.