February 6, 2009
The deadline for Hispanic college students to apply for the 2009 Ford Motor Company CHLI Leadership Program is quickly approaching! Internship applications are due by Friday, February 20, 2009.
Since 2004, the Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute (CHLI) has been sending qualified Hispanic college students to Washington, DC for a six-week internship through the Ford Motor Company CHLI Leadership Program.
2009 applications can be downloaded from the CHLI web site at www.chli.org. Eight Hispanic students will be selected to become part of this exciting six-week internship program in Washington, DC. The interns will be placed with Institutions and Members of Congress who share the goals of the Institute. These goals include encouraging various view points and ideas of the diverse Hispanic community through research, briefings, reports, events, and other activities.
“The Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute is pleased to be able to send these talented and ambitious Hispanic students to Washington, DC,” said Octavio A. Hinojosa Mier, CHLI Executive Director. “I believe that the Ford Motor Company CHLI Leadership Program enables these bright young people to gain the skills and experience necessary to be a leader in our country and the world.”
The Ford Motor Company CHLI Leadership Program offers invaluable insight to Hispanic students who want to gain first-hand experience on how the federal government works and public policy is shaped. The interns will also have the opportunity to interact and meet appointed and elected officials from all levels of government.
The application deadline is Friday, February 20, 2009. The six-week program begins June 15, 2009 and ends July 24, 2009.
To apply, applicants must:
• Be U.S. citizens or Legal Permanent Residents of Hispanic or Portuguese origin.
• Be enrolled in an accredited four year college/university or two year community college.
• Submit a completed application form, personal statement, legislative analysis, and resume, two letters of recommendation and official transcripts.
• Air fare and housing accommodations during Washington, D.C. stay.
• $2,000 stipend.
• Dell laptop computer (for use on the program and to take home at the conclusion of the internship).
• Metro card for public transportation.
To apply, visit www.chli.org. For more information on the 2009 Ford Motor Company CHLI Leadership Program, please contact Yisel Cabrera, Manager of Programs and Operations, Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-347-8280.